Downey Jr wins big at People’s Choice awards

Robert  Downey Jr
Robert Downey Jr has seen a double success at the People’s Choice Awards.
The star of The Judge and Iron Man picked up the trophies for favourite dramatic movie actor and favourite movie actor at the fan-favourite US ceremony, honouring stars in film, TV and music.
“This is perfect for me because I love people, I’m crazy about movies and I prefer people who love my movies,” Robert said.
The Big Bang Theory also won multiple honours. The sitcom about a group of scientists was awarded trophies for favourite network TV comedy and favourite TV show, while co-star Kaley Cuoco was chosen as favourite comedic TV actress.
“We truly have a love and passion for making this show together,” said her co-star Johnny Galecki. “Honestly, it’s a dream come true every day, and it’s never lost on any of us for a split-second that it’s entirely due to your love and support.”
The ceremony kicked off at the Nokia Theatre with Mom stars Anna Faris and Allison Janney quipping about their selection as the show’s hosts.
“Oh, who are we kidding?” Anna joked. “Neil Patrick Harris was unavailable and Ellen DeGeneres said she was busy.”
However, Ellen was not completely booked. The talk show host was on hand to pick up the trophy for favourite daytime TV host.
Other winners in attendance included Chloe Grace Moretz as favourite dramatic movie actress and Chris Evans as favourite action movie actor.
“I’ll say 30, 40% of the votes were my mom, but the other 60%, it really, really means a lot to me,” Chris said. “I’m eternally grateful.”
Melissa McCarthy was honoured as favourite comedic movie actress, while Adam Sandler was selected as favourite comedic movie actor.
Ben Affleck was designated the humanitarian of the year for his work with the Eastern Congo Initiative, which he co-founded in 2010 with Whitney Williams.
Iggy Azalea and Lady Antebellum, who performed during the awards with Fall Out Boy, were also champions. Iggy was deemed favourite hip-hop artist, while Lady Antebellum were crowned favourite country group.
Grey’s Anatomy star Ellen Pompeo accepted the awards for both favourite dramatic TV actress and favourite network TV drama.
“Somehow, this never gets old,” she said. “I have to say it actually gets better. We’re 11 seasons in, and your passion for the show keeps us going.”
A couple of Ellen’s absentee co-stars were also selected as victors: Patrick Dempsey for favourite dramatic TV actor and Sandra Oh as Cristina Yang for TV character missed most.


Top Stories