Business evacuated following Bundoran gas explosion

More Than 25 people were evacuated on Sunday from a supermarket when gas canisters started exploding in a blaze outside.
Thirty domestic gas canisters against a wall outside the Supervalu supermarket in Market Square, Bundoran, exploded as the blaze reached towards them from a parked delivery van.
Flames reached more than 30 feet when fire units from Bundoran, Ballyshannon and Donegal town dashed to the scene.
Nobody was injured and fire crews got the blaze under control within minutes before it reached a fourth-floor unoccupied apartment in the five-storey building..
A spokesman for Supervalu said they managed to evacuate the store of staff and customers, about 25 in all, within about two minutes. Everybody went out in an orderly fashion.
The alert was raised at 1. 25 p.m. when people smelled smoke from the burning van, attached to the store, before the gas canisters were threatened.
Michael Goodwin, Bundoran fire station officer, said they were still checking the precise cause of the fire but it appeared to have been connected in some way to the van. He said the blaze was outside but there was a little smoke damage caused inside as well.
Safety valves on the nearby gas canisters exploded when the heat reached a certain level, to allow the gas escape.


Top Stories