Harps 15s win top of the table clash

Finn Harps U15s 2-0 Bohemians FC
The excellent An Screaban ground home of Gweedore Celtic was the venue on Saturday for the Finn Harps U15s who went three points clear at the top of the National League Group 1 after winning the battle with Bohemians.
The two teams went into the game joint second with 13 points from five games so it was a crucial victory for Kevin McHugh’s boys. The Harps’ Inishowen contingent of Jamie McDaid and Drew McKinney got the two vital goals that saw Harps overtake St Pats to top of the league by two points and maintain their unbeaten season.
Harps started in blistering form and could have taken a very early lead when McKinney latched onto a ball inside the area though his strike was ultimately denied by the woodwork inside the opening two minutes. At the other end Aaron Doran curled a right footed shot wide of the target after good hold up play by Samuel Ayoola.
Harps drew first blood in the 19th minute when Joel Gorman’s free kick was flicked onto Jamie McDaid who composed himself to beat Mark Smith at the back post. Keeper Patrick McGarvey was called upon for Finn Harps to deny James Harold, when he rose above the defence for a corner. However McGarvey was more than a match for the effort. Less than a minute later Harps had a fantastic chance to increase their lead though Daniel Gildea spurned the opportunity after being sent through by McDaid.
McDaid was causing all manner of problems for the Bohemians back line and an industrious run from the forward from the halfway line ended in a smart save by Smith. The second half continued in a similar pattern to the first and Smith was called upon again when he pounced at the feet of McDaid after Oran McGrath found the forward from a deep cross.
Bohemians continued to be a threat going forward and it was Ayoola who managed to find space to turn on the edge of the area though he couldn’t keep his shot from going wide of the upright. Harps weathered the threats and doubled the lead when Blake McGarvey headed McKinney through for a one-on- one with the Bohs keeper, with the
midfielder showing the confidence to slot the ball low past Smith.
The visitors found chances hard to come by as the half progressed with Ayoola heading over from a deep free kick being their only chance of note. McHugh’s boys had one further chance to add to their lead when Daryl Porter was fouled inside the area, Joel Gorman stepped up to strike the resulting penalty hard off the crossbar before heading the rebound in. But the referee ruled out the goal due to an infringement.
Harps can now turn their attention to back-to- back away trips to Drogheda United and Monaghan United/Cavan FP in the next two weeks.


Top Stories