Author name: oisinkelly

A5 could be further delayed due to Stormont deadlock

There are more fears the A5 could be further delayed unless the political deadlock at Stormont ends. In correspondence from Permanent Secretary, Peter May told West Tyrone MLA Daniel McCrossan that the Mallusk Incinerator case ruling has implications for other cases including the A5 Western Transport Corridor as it clearly states decisions normally taken by

A5 could be further delayed due to Stormont deadlock Read More »

Calls for Translink to remove barriers for those with a disability

There are calls for Translink to remove barriers for people with a disability in rural communities across West Tyrone. Translink’s current policy is that service users who require a lowered bus must notify the board 24 hours prior to travel and 48 hours if the person resides in a rural area. West Tyrone MP Órfhlaith

Calls for Translink to remove barriers for those with a disability Read More »

Donegal and Cork make one change each for Saturday Semi Final

Donegal and Cork have named their teams for Saturday’s All Ireland Senior Football Championship Semi Final at Dr Hyde Park in Roscommon. Donegal Captain Karen Guthrie is back in the starting line up having recovered from a glut muscle injury. Anna Maria McGlynn moves to wing back with Emer Gallagher dropping to the bench. Cork

Donegal and Cork make one change each for Saturday Semi Final Read More »

Letterkenny businesses warned to be on alert for counterfeit notes

Businesses in Letterkenny are being warned of attempts to pass counterfeit notes. Its after two young girls attempted to use two forged £20 sterling notes in a shop in the town last night. It’s believed the pair fled when a store manager was alerted. Letterkenny Chamber CEO Toni Forrestor is urging businesses to be vigilant

Letterkenny businesses warned to be on alert for counterfeit notes Read More »

Breaking: Jason Hanlon’s operation scheduled for Autumn

The Chief operations officer at Tallaght Hospital has confirmed that Jason Hanlon’s operation is to take place in the autumn. The 26 year old from Dungloe needs major surgery to ease the acute pain he’s experiencing from scoliosis but his operation had been put back indefinitely. Earlier this summer his mother Elizabeth spoke of her

Breaking: Jason Hanlon’s operation scheduled for Autumn Read More »

Donegal TD says current minimum wage isn’t enough to live on

Sinn Fein are calling for an increase to the minimum wage to 10-Euro-50 per hour to tackle income inequality. It comes after the party received figures from the Revenue Commissioner revealing 10-thousand of the highest earning citizens took home 5-point-6 billion euro between them in 2016. The current minimum wage is 9-Euro-60 an hour but

Donegal TD says current minimum wage isn’t enough to live on Read More »

Time running out for Mica affected families in Donegal

Time is running out for Mica affected families in Donegal. That’s according to Donegal Deputy Thomas Pringle who is urging the Government to include a redress scheme in Budget 2019. Last December, Minister Damien English promised families affected by the defective block issue that there would be news of a redress scheme by early 2018.

Time running out for Mica affected families in Donegal Read More »

British holidaymakers could face price hikes in no-deal Brexit

The British government says holidaymakers travelling to Europe after March next year could face higher bank card charges in the event of a no-deal Brexit. Guidance for that scenario also warns of the risk of delays at the border and urges pharmacists to stockpile medicines. Brexit secretary Dominic Raab says he’s still working towards a

British holidaymakers could face price hikes in no-deal Brexit Read More »

NI businesses told to contact Irish Government in event of no deal

A good Brexit deal is within sight, according to the UK’s Brexit Secretary. The British government has issued advice to citizens and businesses on how to cope with a no-deal scenario. Businesses in the North have been told to ask the Irish government for advice on trading across the border if the UK crashes out

NI businesses told to contact Irish Government in event of no deal Read More »

Broad welcome for upgraded works to South Donegal water supply

  There’s been a broad welcome to plans for upgrade works to some the South Donegal water supply. Communities in Ballyshannon, Bundoran and Rossnowlagh are all set to benefit from the works which include replacing ageing water mains, eliminating leaks and reducing the risk of contamination. The work is expected to start in September and

Broad welcome for upgraded works to South Donegal water supply Read More »

GAA Programme – Donegal Ladies gearing up for All Ireland Semi Final

The GAA Programme in association with Michael Murphy Sports and Leisure, is broadcast every Wednesday from 8.30pm – 9pm. On this week’s programme this focus is on Ladies Football and Donegal’s All- Ireland SFC semi-final with Cork on Saturday at Dr Hyde Park. Tom Comack is joined by former Donegal players Maureen O’ Donnell and

GAA Programme – Donegal Ladies gearing up for All Ireland Semi Final Read More »

Inishowen players involved with Republic in win over Northern Ireland

Four north west players featured in the Republic of Ireland’s International Amateur friendly win over Northern Ireland on Wednesday night at the Showgrounds in Newry. Cockhill Celtic duo Peter Doherty and Jimmy Bradley played the second half in the 2-0 victory. Their club mate Benny McLaughlin and Glengad United’s Matthew Byrne also came from the

Inishowen players involved with Republic in win over Northern Ireland Read More »

Donegal couple refused mortgage due to online betting account

A Donegal County Councillor is warning people that betting through their bank accounts could hamper their chances of obtaining a mortgage. It’s been reported that anyone who has put any type of bet on through their account over their previous two years could be classed as a regular gambler and therefore refused their mortgage. This

Donegal couple refused mortgage due to online betting account Read More »

Jude Gallagher set for action at World Youth Championships in Hungary

Ireland’s Team Captain Jude Gallagher starts his campaign at the World Youth Boxing Championships in Hungary later today. Gallagher, from the Two Castles club in Newtownstewart fights China’s Renuex Zhao in the last 16 of the men’s Light-Flyweight division. Gallagher is no stranger to big tournaments having won Bronze at the European Championships in April

Jude Gallagher set for action at World Youth Championships in Hungary Read More »

Gardai to increase patrols in rural areas during Pope’s visit

Gardaí are increasing patrols during the Pope’s visit amid fears of a spate of break-ins. They’re afraid that burglary gangs will be targeting empty homes as pilgrims attend events during the Pontiff’s trip this weekend. Homeowners are being advised to ask neighbours to keep an eye on their houses whilst they’re out. Meanwhile there’s controversy

Gardai to increase patrols in rural areas during Pope’s visit Read More »

Flood-hit famers in Tyrone still waiting on recovery funding

Homeowners, farmers and business owners across Tyrone, a year on, are still awaiting emergency funding to assist in the recovery of last August’s devastating floods. West Tyrone MLA Daniel McCrossan along with a number of local farmers, is to meet with the Permanent Secretary of the Department of Agriculture, Environment and Rural Affairs next week

Flood-hit famers in Tyrone still waiting on recovery funding Read More »

SIPTU urge Government to triple investment in childcare

SIPTU says the government must triple its investment in childcare to prevent more people from leaving the sector. The union has launched it’s “Big Start” campaign, calling on Children’s Minister Katherine Zappone to develop a ‘new deal’ for childcare. SIPTU Regional Organiser Martin O’Rourke says parents are paying too much for childcare, at a time

SIPTU urge Government to triple investment in childcare Read More »

Meeting scheduled with North’s Permanent Secretary in bid to end school crisis

Public representatives and principals from schools across West Tyrone are meeting with the Permanent Secretary for Education this week to lobby for more investment. It was revealed earlier this month that 1,430 teaching and support staff received redundancies across the North over the past 3 years due to financial pressures caused by the continued deadlock

Meeting scheduled with North’s Permanent Secretary in bid to end school crisis Read More »

Irish Water announces wastewater treatment project plans for Donegal

Irish Water has announced that it is currently progressing the detailed design and planning of wastewater infrastructure for the towns of Rathmullan, Milford and Ramelton in Co Donegal. The utility says the project will take approximately 3 to 4 years with works due to commence this year. Irish water says the project will ensure an

Irish Water announces wastewater treatment project plans for Donegal Read More »