Report into Donegal creches finds risk of scalding and strangulation

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on whatsapp
Share on linkedin

creche1Inspectors who visited a number of creches in County Donegal found young children were exposed to risks of strangulation, scalding and other serious injuries.
According to today’s Irish Independent the potential hazards also included a water supply that was “unfit for human consumption”.
They were revealed in a series of newly published reports by aHSE team at creches and preschools in Co Donegal.
An inspection of First Steps Childminding Service at Inch Island near Lifford last April found a shower hose in the messy play area extended to a low level in a loop, which “may be a strangulation hazard”.
The surface temperature of the radiator was excessive and there was a risk children might be injured if they came in contact with the surface.
Other potential dangers included: l An exit door which was not secured, leaving children vulnerable to going on to the roadway.
* An uncovered sand box in the outdoor play area which could be contaminated by animal waste.
* A cracked window at the playroom patio door risked the entire window pane shattering.
* An opening in an external wall in the playroom could have led to rodents and other pests getting in.
A separate inspection of Fairytales Day Care in Milford, Letterkenny, last September found that a number of electric sockets in the toddler room were unprotected.
UNFIT
A restricted opening device was not fitted in the preschool room on the first floor and a written record of fire drills was not maintained.
The sanitary accommodation adjacent to the toddler room was not complete and just one wash-hand basin was provided when three were needed. A follow-up inspection last May found these issues had been corrected.
An inspection of Naionra An Choimin, in Cloghan, Lifford, in June 2012 showed there was no record of the maintenance of smoke alarms and no fire drill displayed.
The fire-escape door from the playroom could be easily opened, allowing children unsupervised access to the car park.
 

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement

Top Stories

Advertisement