The renewed PSNI investigation into the events of Bloody Sunday has run into difficulties, with what’s been described as a ‘disappointing’ response to an appeal for witnesses who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry to come forward.
More than 1,000 witnesses, consisting of local people and former soldiers, are being asked to make statements as part of the criminal investigation, but police say a public appeal and advertising campaign last month has had a limited response.
Detectives are seeking to make contact with and re-interview any former soldiers and civilians who gave evidence to the Saville Inquiry or who may have information about the events of 30 January 1972 in which 13 people died and a similar number were injured.
They say it is necessary to re-interview witnesses because police are precluded from using Saville testimony in a criminal investigation.
The investigation is being led by Detective Chief Inspector Ian Harrison, who admits the response to the original appeal for witnesses to talk to us has been disappointing. “If we are to make progress”, he said today “we need witness statements”.
He added that if people don’t come forward, it will further delay what is a lengthy and complicated process.
A PSNI statement today says police want to assure all who engage with the investigation team that all matters will be treated in the strictest confidence, and it is their intention to conduct these inquiries as quickly as possible.
The statement concludesPolice Service is determined to conduct a thorough, professional and effective investigation.
* Civilians and former soldiers are asked to contact the investigation team on 028 9025 9593 or by email to BloodySundayEnquiry@psni.pnn.police.uk