Author name: highlandnews

Subsidies for Irish-language college accommodation providers increased

Those who provide accommodation to students attending Irish-language colleges in the Gaeltacht over the summer are to be paid more. Gaeltacht Minister Dara Calleary has approved an increase in the subsidies payable to Gaeltacht families and residential colleges who provide accommodation for attendees of Irish-language colleges. The subsidy paid to families will increase from €13 […]

Subsidies for Irish-language college accommodation providers increased Read More »

DCC to explore potential housing opportunity at disused HSE building in Pettigo

A South Donegal councillor says there’s a vacant HSE building in Pettigo that could be used for social housing, and Donegal County Council has agreed to open discussions about possibly taking it over. Cllr Michael McMahon believes the building would particularly suit the construction of apartments for young couples. Officials have agreed to speak to

DCC to explore potential housing opportunity at disused HSE building in Pettigo Read More »

WCI Donegal survey finds over half of women in the county are experiencing anxiety

A survey carried out by the Donegal branch of Women’s Collective Ireland finds that over half of women in the county are experiencing anxiety. The survey gathered responses from 572 women aged 18 and above, living throughout Donegal, sharing with WCI Donegal their life experiences and views on a number of issues. Project Coordinator Danielle

WCI Donegal survey finds over half of women in the county are experiencing anxiety Read More »

PSNI renew appeal for information on Limavady arson attack

Detectives investigating a house fire on the Seacoast Road, Limavady are continuing with their enquiries and appealing for information from anyone who was driving on the road between 12.50am and 1.10am on Sunday, 27th July to get in touch. Detective Inspector Connolly said: “Our investigation is ongoing and we are keen to speak with anyone who

PSNI renew appeal for information on Limavady arson attack Read More »

Surviving Miami Showband members revisit site of 1975 atrocity

A survivor of the Miami Showband Massacre says 50 years on, he still remembers the Troubles-era attack like it was yesterday. Surviving members of the showband today revisited the site of the atrocity, 50 years on. Three band members were murdered in 1975 when their tour bus was ambushed by loyalist paramilitaries near Newry. Bass

Surviving Miami Showband members revisit site of 1975 atrocity Read More »

Mother of Donegal based UN peacekeeper says this week’s trial in Lebanon was not justice

The mother of Private Sean Rooney – who was killed in Lebanon in December 2022 – says her son didn’t receive justice. It follows the verdicts in the trial of those accused of his murder earlier this week. Five men were given a combination of fines and short sentences in prison, while one man was

Mother of Donegal based UN peacekeeper says this week’s trial in Lebanon was not justice Read More »

Ballyshannon woman first in the world to avail of groundbreaking new procedure

A Ballyshannon woman has become the first patient in the world to successfully undergo a groundbreaking new procedure. At University Hospital Galway, Kelly Coughlin received treatment with the Recana Thrombectomy Catheter System, a procedure that the hospital describes as a global breakthrough in the treatment of complex venous obstructions. The Recana Thrombectomy Catheter System, developed

Ballyshannon woman first in the world to avail of groundbreaking new procedure Read More »

Latest figures show more households are struggling to pay energy bills

Those who find themselves in energy arrears are being advised to get in touch with their supplier. New figures show more than 300-thousand households are behind on their electricity bills with a further 175 thousand struggling to pay gas bills. Despite the increase in arrears the Government insists there will be no energy credits in

Latest figures show more households are struggling to pay energy bills Read More »

Judge asks for timeline in relation to case of Donegal priest charged with child sexual offences

A judge has asked for ‘a timeline’ in relation to the files in the case of a priest charged with eight sexual offences against children. 58-year-old Edward Gallagher of Orchard Park in Lifford had been charged with one count of attempted sexual communication with a child on dates between April 2 and April 17 2025.

Judge asks for timeline in relation to case of Donegal priest charged with child sexual offences Read More »

Donegal-based incoming ASTI President fears Leaving Cert changes will widen inequalities

The incoming ASTI President believes rushed changes to the Leaving Cert set to come into effect in September will widen inequalities and damage education. Nine new and revised subject specifications due to be introduced will have an assessment worth 40% of final grades. Padraig Curley, a teacher at Loreto Community School, Milford says there’s also

Donegal-based incoming ASTI President fears Leaving Cert changes will widen inequalities Read More »

Two Donegal groups receive share of Safefood’s All-Island €1.5m healthy eating initiative

Two Donegal groups are to benefit from Safefood’s All-Island €1.5m healthy eating initiative. The Community Food Initiatives Programme aims to positively influence people’s eating habits in low-income communities, fostering lasting change and strengthening community resilience around healthier eating. Bundoran Community Development CLG has received funding to deliver initiatives around food education, growing, healthy eating, and

Two Donegal groups receive share of Safefood’s All-Island €1.5m healthy eating initiative Read More »

Built Heritage Investment & Historic Thatch Buildings Schemes for 2026 now open

The Built Heritage Investment Scheme 2026 and Historic Thatch Buildings Scheme for 2026 are now open. The BHIS Historic Thatched Buildings stream is to protect the heritage value of historic thatched roof buildings. All historic thatched structures in Donegal are eligible under this scheme and do not need to be on the Record of Protected

Built Heritage Investment & Historic Thatch Buildings Schemes for 2026 now open Read More »

Cathaoirleach of DCC confident Fort Dunree project will come to fruition

The Cathaoirleach of Donegal County Council is confident that the visitor experience project planned for Fort Dunree will come to fruition. Yesterday, it was confirmed that An Coimisiún Pleanála refused planning permission for the €12.5 million project. The body says it was not satisfied that effluent could be satisfactorily treated on site without a risk

Cathaoirleach of DCC confident Fort Dunree project will come to fruition Read More »

Mechanical issue causes mass water outage in Letterkenny and surrounding townlands

Work is being done to restore water supplies to homes in Letterkenny and beyond following a mechanical issue at the Letterkenny Water Treatment Plant overnight. A power outage at the plant has resulted in water production issues. Customers in Kilmacrennan, Termon, Glenswilly, Letterkenny town and surrounding areas are affected. UisceÉireannsays its operations crews have been

Mechanical issue causes mass water outage in Letterkenny and surrounding townlands Read More »

Record number of households unable to pay their electricity bills

331,000 households were behind on their electricity payments at the end of May. It means the number of people in arrears on their electricity bills has now hit a record high. Another 175,000 domestic gas customers are behind on their payments, according to figures from Sinn Féin. The party’s Dublin MEP, Lynn Boylan, says the

Record number of households unable to pay their electricity bills Read More »

West Donegal Councillor expects Uisce Eireann meeting to be “box ticking exercise”

A West Donegal Councillor says he believes a meeting with Uisce Eireann in September will be treated as a “box ticking exercise”. Cllr Michael McClafferty claims the authority is causing major problems around the county. He says the building of homes are being delayed because of a lack of water infrastructure. Councillor McClafferty says as

West Donegal Councillor expects Uisce Eireann meeting to be “box ticking exercise” Read More »

Council urged to meet with Transport Minister to ensure N15 upgrade is completed as far as Lifford

Donegal County Council is being urged to seek a meeting with the Transport Minister to ensure the N15 upgrade is completed as far as Lifford. Works have been carried out from Ballyshannon to Ballybofey; however, Councillor Patrick McGowan says it’s vital the remainder of the route is brought up to standard. He’s calling for funding

Council urged to meet with Transport Minister to ensure N15 upgrade is completed as far as Lifford Read More »

Planning permission for Fort Dunree visitor experience refused

An Coimisiún Pleanála has refused planning permission for Fort Dunree’s €12.5m visitor experience. The body says it was not satisfied, that effluent from the development can be satisfactorily treated and/or disposed of on site in a manner that would not give rise to the risk of pollution to surface water and/or ground water. The proposed

Planning permission for Fort Dunree visitor experience refused Read More »

3D house printing demonstration held in Donegal

A 3D printing demonstration took place in Manorcunningham today, showcasing the construction of houses using printing technology. Engineers and members of Donegal County Council, including Cllr Joy Beard, were among those in attendance. She says with the urgent demand for housing in Donegal every avenue to speed up the house building process needs to be

3D house printing demonstration held in Donegal Read More »

Donegal Donkey Sanctuary issues urgent appeal to local farmers and landowners

The Donegal Donkey Sanctuary has issued an urgent appeal to local farmers and landowners. With over 100 donkeys currently in their care, the centre says it’s at full capacity and may soon have to turn away new intakes. Manager Danny Curran says rehoming has become increasingly difficult. He is urging anyone who has land and

Donegal Donkey Sanctuary issues urgent appeal to local farmers and landowners Read More »

Donegal feels effects of Russian earthquake for over 8 hours

The ground trembled for over eight hours in Donegal, following a powerful earthquake off the far eastern coast of Russia overnight. The 8.8 magnitude quake, one of the strongest ever recorded, was detected by a seismometer at St Columba’s College in Stranorlar. Tsunami alerts remain active for parts of the Pacific, including Papua New Guinea

Donegal feels effects of Russian earthquake for over 8 hours Read More »

Bus access issues at Fanad Lighthouse can be overcome – Blaney

A Milford Area councillor says he believes there is a means of avoiding yesterday’s access issue in Fanad, with buses unable to get to the lighthouse, and being forced to terminate at Ballylar Post Office.   TFI Local Link says they were unable to serve the Lighthouse due to haphazardly parked cars prohibiting the bus

Bus access issues at Fanad Lighthouse can be overcome – Blaney Read More »

43 admitted patients awaiting beds at LUH this morning

There were 43 admitted patients awaiting beds at Letterkenny University Hospital this morning, 17 of them on Emergency Department trolleys. That was the third highest figure in the state this morning after Limerick and Galway according to the INMO’s Trolley Watch survey. There were 27 people awaiting beds at Sligo University Hospital, giving a combined

43 admitted patients awaiting beds at LUH this morning Read More »

Business Matters, EP 255 – Garrett Harte founder of Harte Media, and Chair of the Donegal Dublin Business Network

In this week’s programme, Chris Ashmore catches up with Donegal man Garrett Harte, a multi award-winning senior media executive whose family is steeped in politics and who has more than two decades of experience in the broadcast industry. The former Editor-in-Chief of Newstalk, he led and shaped the national current affairs debate on critical political,

Business Matters, EP 255 – Garrett Harte founder of Harte Media, and Chair of the Donegal Dublin Business Network Read More »

Home buyers seeking more transparency in the process – CCPC

  Less than one in five consumers think the homebuying system is transparent for buyers. 78 per cent of people believe estate agents should share the answers to questions other potential buyers ask. Research by the Competition and Consumer Protection Commission shows people want more information earlier in the process. Simon Barry from the CCPC

Home buyers seeking more transparency in the process – CCPC Read More »