Author name: highlandnews

Only 2 properties within standard HAP limits available to rent in entire state

A new report shows a stark decline in the availability of affordable properties to rent with a Housing Assistance Payment or “HAP”. Across all areas surveyed by the Simon Communities of Ireland – only 657 properties were available to rent, at any price, over the dates surveyed. They also discovered that there were only two […]

Only 2 properties within standard HAP limits available to rent in entire state Read More »

Udaras na Gaeltachta welcomes opening of Crolly Distillery Visitors’ Centre

Whiskey is being distilled in the Donegal Gaeltacht for the first time in over 180 years, following the opening of the Crolly Distillery. The Udaras backed project has now opened its Visitors’ Centre. In a statement, Údarás na Gaeltachta congratulates the team which has opened Drioglann Chroithlí, saying they were happy that they were able

Udaras na Gaeltachta welcomes opening of Crolly Distillery Visitors’ Centre Read More »

Call for planning investigations to be fast-tracked

There are calls for investigations into planning allegations to be fast-tracked. It follows the sudden resignation of the deputy chair of An Bord Pleanala, Paul Hyde, after controversy over a number of planning decisions. Mr Hyde, originally an architect based in Cork, has denied any conflict of interest. Labour Party spokesperson on housing, Rebecca Moynihan

Call for planning investigations to be fast-tracked Read More »

Aer Lingus may be called before the Oireachtas Transport Commitee

There are calls for Aer Lingus to appear before the Oireachtas Transport Committee, amidst a slew of cancelled flights. Fine Gael Senator Jerry Buttimer wants the airline’s Chief Executive and senior management to appear in Leinster House after thousands of passengers have been left stranded The airline cancelled more than 100 flights last week alone,

Aer Lingus may be called before the Oireachtas Transport Commitee Read More »

Pringle and Fitzmaurice among Independents backing SF no-Confidence motion

A number of independent TDs are planning to back a no-confidence motion in the government. It will take place in the Dail on Tuesday. Galway/Roscommon Independent TD Michael Fitzmaurice sits on the Independent Group with Donegal Deputy Thomas Pringle, who will be backing the motion. Deputy Fitzmaurice says he does not believe this government is

Pringle and Fitzmaurice among Independents backing SF no-Confidence motion Read More »

Almost 900 applications made to defective blocks scheme in Donegal

It’s been revealed that Donegal County Council has received almost 900 applications to the current Defective Concrete Blocks Grant Scheme, as of the 5th of July. Of the 889 applications to Donegal County Council for Stage 1 of the Defective Blocks Grant Scheme, 516 of them are still either being assessed by the Council, or

Almost 900 applications made to defective blocks scheme in Donegal Read More »

Shinzo Abe was a peace-loving, outgoing supporter of smaller countries like Ireland – Enda Kenny

Former Taoiseach Enda Kenny says he’ll remember Shinzo Abe as a peace-loving, outgoing supporter of smaller countries like Ireland. The former Japanese Prime Minister was shot while making a speech in the western city of Nara earlier today and died from his injuries. A man in his 40s been taken into custody in relation to

Shinzo Abe was a peace-loving, outgoing supporter of smaller countries like Ireland – Enda Kenny Read More »

No confidence vote a “classic” Sinn Fein strategy – Taoiseach

The Taoiseach says he welcomes the opportunity a no confidence vote will give the government to focus on its achievements. Sinn Fein’s tabling a motion of no confidence in the government, which will be brought before the Dail on Tuesday. The Rural Independent Group, along with the Labour Party and People Before Profit, will support

No confidence vote a “classic” Sinn Fein strategy – Taoiseach Read More »

Relationship between UK and Ireland can only get better after Johnson resignation – Tory MP

A leading Tory MP says the relationship between the UK and Ireland can only get better now that Boris Johnson has resigned. Last week the Tanaiste Leo Varadkar said Anglo-Irish relations had never been as bad. Boris Johnson announced he would step down as British prime minister yesterday and the search for his successor is

Relationship between UK and Ireland can only get better after Johnson resignation – Tory MP Read More »

Number of unemployed on live register increases 4 percent in June

em The number of unemployed people on the live register increased by just over 4 per cent in June. CSO figures show there were 184,600 people signing on, when seasonal effects are considered, an increase of 7,300 from May. Included in the figures are just over 7,100 people benefiting from the EU’s Temporary Protection Directive

Number of unemployed on live register increases 4 percent in June Read More »

Concern as government considers ban on selling turf online

  The government’s considering banning the sale of turf online. Draft proposals on restricting the selling of turf will be brought to the Taoiseach and Tánaiste by Green party leader Eamon Ryan next week. One of the planned measures would see a ban on ads being placed on websites, social media and in newspapers. Independent

Concern as government considers ban on selling turf online Read More »

“I see my political future as an independent” – Meehan

A community worker in the Milford area has said he is interested in becoming involved in politics, but not with an established party. Declan Meehan, manager of the Milford & District Resource Centre is a regular commentator, and wa speaking on this morning’s nine to noon show. He recently met with Tanaiste Leo Varadkar, leading

“I see my political future as an independent” – Meehan Read More »

Criminal Assets Bureau targeting 28 groups and individuals in Donegal

The number of individuals and organisations being targeted by the Criminal Assets Bureau in Donegal has fallen substantially. The bureau’s latest annual report shows 28 targets in Donegal at the end of last year, down from 48 at the end of 2020. That’s a drop of almost 42%. The figures show CAB is investigating almost

Criminal Assets Bureau targeting 28 groups and individuals in Donegal Read More »

Donegal GP says long waiting lists have serious consequences

Over 5,200 people have been waiting over five years for hospital treatment. According to freedom of information figures, they’re looking for an outpatient, inpatient or day-case appointment. Galway University Hospitals is worst affected – with nearly 800 people waiting over five years. Donegal GP Ciaran Ó Fearraigh says long delays can have serious consequences…………….

Donegal GP says long waiting lists have serious consequences Read More »

Cllr welcomes new Dungloe apartments – but wants better housing system

A Glenties Councillor has welcomed news that funding has been allocated to refurbish Fairhill Lodge in Dungloe to create 8 new apartments – but says that Government must do more to build proper social housing. Cllr Michael Cholm Mac Giolla Easbuig has criticised the refurbishment process, which has seen the Government and Donegal County Council

Cllr welcomes new Dungloe apartments – but wants better housing system Read More »

Eamon Ryan challenged over Donegal – Dublin bus cancellations

The Minister for Transport has been challenged over recent cancellations on the Donegal to Dublin bus route. Donegal Deputy Thomas Pringle told the Dail that on one day, a total of six buses were cancelled – many being shelved just minutes before the planned departure. Deputy Pringle told Minister Eamon Ryan these cancellations wouldn’t be

Eamon Ryan challenged over Donegal – Dublin bus cancellations Read More »

Housing Minister has no doubt McHugh will support Government

The Housing Minister says he has no doubt Joe McHugh will continue to support the government. That’s despite the Donegal Deputy resigning the whip by voting against the government’s defective blocks bill last night. McHugh’s decision to vote against the redress scheme for impacted homeowners, means the government has lost its majority. Housing Minister Darragh

Housing Minister has no doubt McHugh will support Government Read More »

McDonald slams Boris Johnson’s legacy on the North

The leader of Sinn Fein has described Boris Johnson’s interactions with Ireland as ‘wholly negative’. It comes as Shailesh Vara replaces Brandon Lewis as the Northern Ireland Secretary, after Mr Lewis resigned in protest this morning. Mary Lou McDonald says the outgoing British prime minister has left a negative legacy in the North:

McDonald slams Boris Johnson’s legacy on the North Read More »

Getting a filling in Donegal 135 euro cheaper than Dublin – Report

A survey of dental costs has uncovered significant variations between counties and even surgeries in the same area. Dublin had the highest price for a filling, costing patients 170 euro at a surgery in Blackrock, compared to 35 euro at a surgery in Donegal. The research from the Irish Independent also found some dentists were

Getting a filling in Donegal 135 euro cheaper than Dublin – Report Read More »

Moville chef joins forces with IDP to deliver free cookery bootcamp

A UNIQUE insight into what it is like working in a professional kitchen is being offered to anyone over the age of 18, unemployed and interested in working in the food industry in Inishowen. IDP in association with Donegal ETB, Taste4Success, Skillnet and Sláintecare Healthy Food Made Easy, are hosting their first ever FREE Summer

Moville chef joins forces with IDP to deliver free cookery bootcamp Read More »

Udaras seeks planning permission for Bunbeg solar farm

Údarás na Gaeltachta has applied for planning permission to Donegal County Council for a solar farm development at Ard na Ceapairí in Bunbeg. The proposed works will cover 14.1 hectares, comprising solar photovoltaic panels on ground mounted frames and all necessary ancillary development structures. Udaras says this is a further step in the development of

Udaras seeks planning permission for Bunbeg solar farm Read More »

McConalogue urged to address crippling fuel prices for fishing sector

Marine Minister Charlie McConalogue is being urged to act urgently on foot of a joint statement from Ireland’s fishing and fish producer organisations. Several groups have come together to sign the document urging the Government to provide urgent financial supports to their industry to help them cope with the crisis of rising fuel prices and

McConalogue urged to address crippling fuel prices for fishing sector Read More »

Letterkenny Chamber Business Awards 2022 are open for application

  The Letterkenny Chamber Business Awards are back bigger than ever. After doing online awards last year, Letterkenny Chamber is delighted to announce that the 2022 awards are underway. Chamber President Kristine Reynolds explains that there is great enthusiasm for the awards. “The Chamber Business Awards is the biggest event of the year for the

Letterkenny Chamber Business Awards 2022 are open for application Read More »

Special council meeting called to discuss ‘An Crannla’ report

A special meeting of Donegal County Council will take place on Monday next to discuss the findings of an external review of the acquisition of five houses at An Crannla Estate in Buncrana by the authority. It’s understood the review, which was circulated to staff and members yesterday, finds the the council acted properly, and

Special council meeting called to discuss ‘An Crannla’ report Read More »

Johnson set to resign Tory leadership as NI Secretary becomes latest minister to go

Boris Johnson expected to step down as Conservative Party leader today, but he will remain as British Prime Minister until a new leader is elected. More than 50 members of the UK government have now resigned in the space of two days, piling further pressure on Boris Johnson. Northern Ireland Secretary Brandon Lewis is among

Johnson set to resign Tory leadership as NI Secretary becomes latest minister to go Read More »

NW City Region ‘Talent Mapping’ scheme launched by two councils

Donegal County Council and Derry City and Strabane District Council have launched a new “talent-mapping” programme for the North-West, that aims to allow businesses to better identify talent. The aim is to further help businesses drive investment into the region. The cross-border collaborative project between Donegal County Council and Derry City and Strabane District Council

NW City Region ‘Talent Mapping’ scheme launched by two councils Read More »